How to install Cyanogen OS 12.1 on OnePlus One
Cyanogen this week rolled out its latest Cyanogen OS 12.1 update for the OnePlus One, which features a new web browser, new interface icons for a bunch of baked-in apps, and lots more.
If you don’t want to wait for the update to reach you over-the-air, here’s how to download and install it manually.
First, you’ll want to backup your device. You won’t have to wipe any data if you’re already running Cyanogen OS, but it’s always best to have a copy of everything just in case something goes wrong.
Once your backup is done, follow the steps below:
- Download the Cyanogen OS 12.1 update
- Transfer the full ZIP to the root of your OnePlus One’s internal storage
- Turn off your device and wait until the screen goes black
- Boot into Cyanogen recovery by holding down the power and volume down buttons simultaneously
- Select “apply update,” then “apply from internal storage”
- Select the firmware you just transferred to your device
Once the update is installed, reboot your OnePlus One. When it starts up, it will be running the latest software, and you’ll need to wait a little while for your apps to be optimized. The more you have installed, the longer this process will take.
In addition to a new browser, which makes Bing the default search engine, Cyanogen OS 12.1 brings:
- New icons for File Manager, Camera, Gallery, Audio FX
- New app drawer sorted alphabetically
- Improved touch responsiveness
- Integrated True Caller
- New Calendar app