T-Mobile Helps The iPhone Catch Up To Android In The U.S.
Android has held a pretty sizable lead over the iPhone for a long time now, and in the United States, it would appear there’s little chance of that changing any time soon. But Apple’s smartphone is gaining ground on its rival, and it’s all thanks to T-Mobile.
According to the latest data from research firm Kantar Worldpanel, the iPhone’s market share rose 3.5% over a three-month period ending in May, narrowing the gap iOS and Android to 10.1%. In total, iOS now boasts 41.9%, while Android holds 52%.
During this time, the iPhone 5 was the best-selling smartphone on T-Mobile — despite the fact that it came out in April — and it accounted for 31% of T-Mobile’s smartphone sales.
“The highly anticipated release of the iPhone on T-Mobile has benefited iOS in the latest 3 month period, though it has not yet impacted T-Mobile’s share in the market,” said Kantar’s global consumer insight director, Dominic Sunnebo.
“iOS’ strength on T-Mobile appears to be the ability to attract first time smartphone buyers, upgrading from a featurephone. Of T-Mobile consumers who bought an iOS device since it launched on the carrier, 53% had previously owned a featurephone, well above the market average of 45% of iOS owners who previously owned a featurephone.”
AT&T and Verizon also saw impressive iPhone sales, with Apple’s device accounting for 60% and 44% of their smartphone sales respectively.
- SourceKantar Worldpanel