Sony Xperia Z1, Z1 Compact & Z Ultra Get Android 4.4 KitKat
Sony is today pushing out its latest Android 4.4 KitKat update to its latest trio of flagship Xperia smartphones. The Xperia Z1, the Xperia Z1 Compact, and the Xperia Z Ultra are all getting the release, which promises performance optimizations, user interface tweaks, Xperia Themes, and more.
Sony announced the release today in a post on its official Sony Mobile blog, where it provides a full list of changes and improvements:
- Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation…
- We’ve added our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
- Our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon…
Those with an unlocked Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, or Xperia Z Ultra should see the release sometime today. If you have a carrier-branded handset, you may need to wait for it to be approved first — but it should be with you over the coming weeks.
Sony says KitKat will be coming to the original Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia Tablet Z, and Xperia ZR during the middle of the second quarter.
- SourceSony Mobile