Indian Galaxy S III Finally Getting Android 4.3 Update
After a period of inactivity, Samsung has at last initiated its rollout in South Asia and is pushing the beefy Android 4.3 update to all its Galaxy S III smartphones with model number GT-i9305 currently located in India. This much-anticipated update finally brings Android 4.3 Jelly Bean together with support for the recently released Galaxy Gear smartwatch, as well as compatibility for Samsung KNOX.
The Galaxy S III was announced back in May, 2012, and went on sale shortly after, as Samsung’s flagship device. The handset packs a 4.8-inch Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, a 1.4GHz Cortex-A9 processor, a Mali-400MP GPU, 1GB of RAM, 16GB/32GB/64GB of internal storage (expandable up to 64GB via microSD), an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 2,100 mAh battery.
The full changelog for the upgrade, courtesy of SamMobile, can be seen below:
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
- New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- Move-to-SD-card feature
- New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
- New Additions in Notification Centre
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
- Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
- New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)
To see if your device is eligible for this update now, head into “Settings,” then “About Device,” and select “Check for Updates”. If a pop-up window doesn’t appear informing you that you can update, don’t worry, it means that the update is not yet ready to be pushed out to your device. However, when it is available, you will receive a push notification prompting you to download the update.