Unlocked Moto X Now Receiving Android 4.4.2 OTA
Motorola is currently pushing out the much-anticipated Android 4.4.2 KitKat update to all the unlocked variants of its flagship smartphone, the Moto G, in the United States. The upgrade is a relatively minor bump up from 4.4, and doesn’t pack much in terms of new functionality, but it does bring a multitude of bug fixes, stability improvements and speed optimizations, in addition to the implementation of Google’s Cloud Print service.
With regards to specifications, the Moto X packs a gorgeous 4.7-inch AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels (coated with Corning Gorilla Glass for added protection), a Qualcomm MSM8960Pro Snapdragon powered by two 1.7GHz Krait CPU’s, an Adreno 320 GPU, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of flash memory, a 10-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 2,200 mAh Li-Ion battery.
The full changelog for this specific Android 4.4.2 KitKat update can be seen below:
- Android 4.4, KitKat: Android 4.4.2, KitKat, is the latest release of the Android platform. KitKat includes enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security, smarter power use, and more tools and capabilities for better app development.
- Phone dialer: Improved the phone app with the ability to look up contacts directly from the dial pad, see and tap frequent contacts, and search your corporate directory easily.
- Camera – Focus and exposure: Enhanced the “touch to focus” option with a new circular, on screen control that can be dragged by your finger around the viewfinder to adjust a photo’s focus and exposure.
- Gallery – Photo editing: Added new photo editing options to the Gallery app including new filter effects, draw on your photos, advanced cropping, and adjustments to color, exposure, contrast and more.
- Printing documents and pictures: Added support for printing photos, Google Docs, GMail messages, and other content via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and hosted services like Google Cloud Print and HP ePrinters.
- Hangouts – SMS/MMS support: Incorporated a new version of Google Hangouts that supports integrated SMS/MMS messaging. Hangouts can be set as the default SMS app under Settings > Wireless > Default SMS app.
- Accessory: support Added support for Square credit card reader.
- Fixes Android 4.4 KitKat battery life bugs.
- Fixes sync issue with Microsoft Exchange.
If you own an unlocked variant of the Moto X and have not yet received the update, head into “Settings,” then “About Device,” and select “Check for Updates” to manually scan for the it. Alternatively, you can wait until you receive a push notification informing you that the upgrade is now ready to be downloaded and installed on your handset. Be aware, you will need to be connected to Wi-Fi for this rather hefty 146.7MB download.