Verizon Finally Pushes Out Android 4.4.2 OTA To Its Carrier-Branded Moto G
Verizon is currently in the process of pushing out the much-anticipated Android 4.4.2 update to all of its carrier-branded Moto G handsets located in the United States. This upgrade brings the latest build of KitKat to the device, in addition to the usual multitude of additional bug fixes, stability improvements and speed optimizations.
The Moto G is effectively a scaled down version of Google’s flagship smartphone, the Moto X, packing a 4.5-inch capacitive touchscreen with a resolution of 720 x 1280, a 1.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 400 processor, an Adreno 305 GPU, 1GB of RAM, 8GB/16GB of internal storage, a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera, a 1.3-megapixel front-facing shooter and a 2,070 mAh Li-Ion removable battery.
The full changelog for this rather hefty Android 4.4.2 KitKat update, can be seen below:
- Android 4.4, KitKat: Android 4.4.2, KitKat, is the latest release of the Android platform. KitKat includes enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security, smarter power use, and more tools and capabilities for better app development.
- Phone dialer: Improved the phone app with the ability to look up contacts directly from the dial pad, see and tap frequent contacts, and search your corporate directory easily.
- Camera – Focus and exposure: Enhanced the “touch to focus” option with a new circular, on screen control that can be dragged by your finger around the viewfinder to adjust a photo’s focus and exposure.
- Gallery – Photo editing: Added new photo editing options to the Gallery app including new filter effects, draw on your photos, advanced cropping, and adjustments to color, exposure, contrast and more.
- Printing documents and pictures: Added support for printing photos, Google Docs, GMail messages, and other content via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and hosted services like Google Cloud Print and HP ePrinters.
- Hangouts – SMS/MMS support: Incorporated a new version of Google Hangouts that supports integrated SMS/MMS messaging. Hangouts can be set as the default SMS app under Settings > Wireless > Default SMS app.
- Accessory: support Added support for Square credit card reader.
If you own a Moto G and have not yet received the OTA update, you can head into “Settings,” then “About Device,” and select “Check for Updates” to manually scan for this upgrade. Alternatively, you can wait until you receive a push notification prompting you to download and install the update.