Manually Update The Google Play Edition HTC One To Android 4.4 KitKat [How-To]
Got yourself a Google Play edition HTC One but still waiting for the Android 4.4 KitKat update? Worry not. If you are impatient enough for the OTA update to arrive, you can always manually install the update on your phone in a few simple steps.
The process to manually update the GPe One to Android 4.4 KitKat is much easier than the Nexus 4. Just follow the steps below and you will be done in no time.
Before you begin, keep in mind that the steps below will not work on HTC One running the Sense UI or any kind of custom ROMs based on the Android 4.3 GPe ROM. You must have the official Google Play edition HTC One purchased directly from Google or any third party reseller.
Files You’ll Need
1. Download the 320MB KitKat update for the Google Play edition HTC One from here. This is the direct OTA update link and is the same file that is being rolled out via the OTA update.
2. Transfer the file to the root of your One’s internal storage. Then, proceed to reboot your HTC One into Recovery mode. You can do this by pressing first switching off the device, and then press the Volume down + Power key, simultaneously. Your device should boot into HBOOT mode now.
3. Using the Volume keys, select the ‘Recovery’ option and confirm it by pressing the Power key. Your device will once again reboot and you should see a spinning icon. Once the icon has stopped spinning, press and hold the Volume Up key and then press the Power key. You only need to press the Power key for a second or so whilst keeping the Volume Up key pressed.
4. Your One should boot into the stock Android recovery now. Once again, use the Volume keys to navigate to the “apply from phone storage” option and confirm it by pressing the Power key.
5. Using the Volume keys, navigate to the /sdcard/0 folder and find the KitKat OTA update file that you had transferred to the device in Step 2. Confirm your selection by pressing the Power key and wait for the ZIP file to be installed.
Once the file has been installed, select the ‘Reboot system now’ and wait patiently for your One to boot into Android 4.4 KitKat. The first boot can very well take up to a few minutes, so don’t panic if you see the boot animation for an unusually long time.
If you face any issues or have any doubts, drop in a comment and we would be glad to help you!