Canadian Samsung Galaxy S III & Galaxy Note II Receiving Android 4.3 Update
Samsung is in the process of pushing out the much-anticipated over-the-air (OTA) update to all the unlocked Galaxy S III and Note II models located in Canada. This upgrade brings Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and a newer version of the TouchWiz user interface to the devices, as well as a multitude of bug fixes and speed optimizations.
The Galaxy S III was announced back in May, 2012, and went on sale shortly after its announcement. The handset packs a 4.8-inch Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, a 1.4GHz Cortex-A9 processor, a Mali-400MP GPU, 1GB of RAM, 16GB/32GB/64GB of internal storage (expandable up to 64GB via microSD), an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 2,100 mAh battery.
Whereas, the Note II was released back in September 2012, and features an impressive 5.5-inch Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels, a 1.6GHz quad-core Exynos 4412 processor, a Mali-400MP GPU, 2GB of RAM, 16GB/32GB/64GB of internal storage (expandable via microSD), an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 3,100 mAh Li-Ion battery.
The full changelog for the 4.3 Jelly Bean update can be seen below:
-GALAXY GEAR Support
– TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
– Samsung KNOX
– Samsung Wallet (Pre-loaded)
– Better RAM management
– Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
– New Samsung Keyboard
– GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
– New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
– New screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
– Driving mode
– Actionable notifications
– Move-to-SD-card feature
– New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
– New Additions in Notification Centre
– Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
– Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
– New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
– Full screen Samsung apps
– New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)
If you own either a Galaxy S III or Note II and have not yet received the OTA update, you can head into “Settings,” then “About Device,” and select “Check for Updates” to manually scan for the upgrade.