Apple Accounts For 57% Of Smartphone Profits While Samsung Takes Remaining 43%


Even though we love the HTC One, there are really only two smartphone manufacturers in the world right now that matter: Apple and Samsung. The two companies have been fighting for every square inch of the global smartphone market, and have managed to take all of the profits in the process.

A new report from Canaccord Genuity shows that while some manufacturers made improvements in the March quarter of 2013, Apple and Samsung still account for 100% of the industry’s profits, with Apple taking 57% and Samsung snatching up the remaining 43%.

Even though taking 100% of the profits should sound impressive, it’s actually a decrease from the previous quarter when Samsung and Apple took 103% of the profits. Canaccord analyst T. Michael Walkley had the following to say about Apple’s drop in profits:

“While Apple and Samsung continue to dominate the share of industry profits, improving cost structures and results from other OEMs have reduced Apple and Samsung’s combined share to 100% from levels above 100% in the past several quarters.”

Apple’s profits dropped from 72% in Q4 2012 to 57% in Q1 2013 due to slowed demand for the iPhone 5, and increased demand for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. The only company other than Apple and Samsung to turn a profit last quarter was LG, which managed to grab 1% of the smartphone industry profits. However, thanks to Motorola’s -1% loss, LG’s value was offset.

  • SourceAI